Wednesday, September 23, 2009

To blog or not to blog...

A few months ago, I wasn't exactly sure what a blog even was. I had heard the word and knew it was something you did online, but that's about it. Now I suppose I'm an official blogger, if that's even a word. When I discovered that it was a way for me to share my thoughts and record life's silly moments, I thought these were reasons enough to get me blogging (is that a word?). So, I signed up and here I am. I won't lie and say I wasn't hesitant to do it. I was. I thought, "I really won't have anything interesting to write. I'm not that interesting." Then I started thinking of all of life's little moments - the happy ones, the sad ones, the ones that want to make you pull your hair out. Mine's full of those, so I thought, "what the heck?" There is one defining moment tonight that made me go for it.

It took me a good half hour to add all the layers of the lasagna I was making for dinner tonight because my 3 1/2-month old Baby Boy was fussy. Noodles, sauce mixture, cheese...noodles, sauce mixture, tend to Baby Boy, cheese...noodles, tend to Baby Boy, sauce mixture, cheese....and so it continued four times until I finally had a finished lasagna ready for the oven. By now he's screaming and ready for bed, so I say to him, "okay, sweetie, I'm gonna put you in the bouncer for one second while mommy puts the lasagna in the oven." He actually looked at me like he understood...until I walked away. The waterworks started, so I ran to the kitchen, shoved the lasanga inside and came back to scoop Baby Boy up. I fed him, put him down and tiptoed out the door. Five minutes later, he was crying again, and that's when I thought it was a clear-cut sign that I wasn't supposed to blog. I didn't have the time. (**Note** I write this as Baby Boy is lying awake in his crib, pulling his legs up toward his head and crashing them down onto the mattress - over and over again. I can see on the monitor that it jiggles the crib just enough to be amusing - I know this because he's smiling that precious nose-crinkling smile that melts my heart every single time.)

It dawned on me when I was eating my lasagna later on that maybe a blog was my saving grace. A time for me. A time to spend five minutes or a half hour every few nights sharing my thoughts if, for no other reason, to realize just how lucky I am to have the most precious Baby Boy in the world and our experiences together to write about. I have been meaning to write in my journal, but I've done so once in four months, so maybe this is a more efficient way to journal my thoughts and record my life. And for those of you who care, it's here for you to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment